Neurotic cat peeing on everything but her litter box!

We have a very neurotic cat that is almost completely anti-social. She will only use her litter box once or twice and then she won't go back to it and will pee and poop (yes poop) on anything laying on any surface. Papers, clothes, beds, couches, chairs, on the bare floors, it doesn't seem to make a difference to her.

And...this is even more odd...one way that she is neurotic is that when/if she finally does come up to you to be petted, she will not allow you to touch her until she had licked your entire hand and then after you pet her she will profusely clean the spot you petted. Yet, she will pee and poop where she sleeps! Is their any hope for her or is she mentally challeged?

momoftwins240

Asked by momoftwins240 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pets

• How old was she when you got her? Is she old?
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Did she always do this or just started, did something change like moving, change in the house, moved litter box? cats are easily stress and hate change. Maybe add more then one litter box, i know its a pain maybe one in every room. She also maybe sick. You may want to take her to the vet.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i had a cat like that. We had to clean the litter box after every time he used it and if we were going to be gone for a couple hours we had to have three of four litter boxes available for him. we tried every trick in the cat training books, and the tips for the vet and still nothing helped. We had to gt rid of him when my son was born because he didn't like the baby. He now lives happily (at least mostly) on a cat sanctuary we found. I will visit every once and a while to check on him and see how he's doing.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 4:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think she is probably a bizzare relative come back to haunt you!
    your post made me laugh!

take heart- from what I hear, the Osbournes had to give away a dog because it would 'keep going up onto the table and sh*t every time we (they) would go out!

so it even happens to those with multi - million dollar homes.!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We had a cat like this once, I swear he was trying to kill me, lol. He peed in his litter box, but would poop 3 feet in front of it. He would throw up in my shoes, and only my shoes. I found an easy way to solve the problem...I gave him away.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That is defidently strange. I had a cat that would only pee in the bathroom sink. I would try putting her in a empty room or the bathroom (with a window) and put the litter box in with her for a day. It usually helps with getting them litter box trained better.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Usually this type of behavior, as stated previously, is do to stress, unclean box, or the kitty is sick. While the whole neurological thing may seem funny to some peeps, it could be just that. I had a cat who was 18 years old and she had a stroke and then slowly died from what seemed like some type of brain disorder. It was very sad. I would google this and check with some cat associations/vet sites to see if you can use process of elimination to determine what should be done.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• She is not old. She is only 4 and we have had her since she was a little kitten. Adopted her from the Humane Society. She has always done this, nothing has changed. We've had her to the vet several times, had all the tests to see if she is sick, no dice, she is healthy as a horse. We have multiple litter boxes. We have tried, at the vets suggestion, locking her in a small confined area with her litter box, food and water for two weeks. Nothing has worked. I think I'm going to start looking for cat sanctuaries in the St. Louis area and just give her to them. We can't take it anymore. She has ruined thousands of dollars worth of furniture, clothes, etc. The finish on the top of my diningroom table is toast from her jumping up there and peeing all over it and then the pee sitting there for hours before we get home from work to clean it up. I'm just done with her. We obviously don't make her happy anyway.
    momoftwins240

Comment by momoftwins240 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think sending her to a sanctuary is the answer. If you've truly done everything you can, then she should be euth'd. She' s not a candidate for adoption.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I dont think she should be put down! But i dont think you should keep her.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 6:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010