Do you get mad when other people discipline your kids?

Today for instance, we were decorating for a 90th bday party and my 4 year old and her two cousins were apparantly sitting on some steps that they shouldn't have been in the fellowship hall and my BIL (my hubby's sister's husband) told his 2 year old daughter to get down and then looked at my daughter and said "I said get down NOW" and it was loud and in a stern voice. It just didn't sit with me right. He could have been a little nicer about it. Am I wrong for being upset about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• When children are out of line...they need discipline ...don't be mad... be thankful for the help
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I dont mind if my son is doing somthing wrong and it family but Yes you BIL could have been nicer.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't allow other people to discipline my child, but I also don't consider your scenario to be discipline.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He should have been nicer. I would have felt bad for my child. If your daughter is OK now I would let it go.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would have been upset also. I'd let him know that if he ahd any problems with any of my kids that he needs to come to me to take care of it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• yup

Answer by admckenzie at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't let other people besides the ones responsible for her to discipline her. But I don't consider a stern voice to be discipline.
    Sure, he could have said it nicer, but if she needed to move and didn't listen the first time, then a stern voice is called for.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am very protective. If ANYONE rasies their voice to my Son other than my DH or I, It would PISS ME OFF big time! Unless the child is in imminent danger, there is no need to raise your voice. That Man could have be stern but nice and give them time to get down. They are still very young to be yelled at by almost a stranger. I was in the library with my DS who was just under 2 at the time. We were in a Toddler playtime and the instructor who didn't work for the Library (they pay people to come and have different classes). Well she had handed out bubbles a little while earlier and then the children handed them back nicely and it was free time to just play. My DS walked over to the bubble containers that were piled in the corner and was standing them all up (he's neat). This lady went over to him and GRABBED a bubble container out of his hand and yelled NO! He screamed in fear & became hysterical. CONT:
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• In this family, if you're an adult you discipline. No precious snowflakes here that are so fragile they can't handle being told no by somebody besides mommy. When there are 3 generations and 40 people at Thanksgiving, the safety of all the kids is more important than dragging all their mothers out of the kitchen, bathroom and any other room they may have scattered to so they can each scold their own child.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If my children are wrong I would hope someone would correct them... Your brother could have been nicer about it though
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010