What was effective for you and your children when starting potty training?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• waiting until my son told me "I'm a big boy! no more diapers!" He was 3. He just started using the potty that day.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• underwear and a potty chair. I dont like pullups because they make my daughter think she is wearing a diaper and a potty chair because stuff splashing into the toilet freaks a lot of kids out. I also try treats and stickers.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I hate potty chairs, I sat my kids on the toliet backwards,( facing the tank with their legs spread wide) that way they didn't feel like they would fall in, and the pee falls straight down, even with a boy. I started when they were almost two my son was around 21 months and it took about two weeks. they were already waking up dry from naps and overnight.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• it wasnt too bad i had two that had to be potty train.the first a boy and he was trained by 3 i just had to keep showing them where to go a nd it helps i think to take them places and let them use the bathroom outside of the house that can make it fun for them to use the bathroom in different places
    debbie91

Answer by debbie91 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• dont go from diapers to pull ups to underwear. that confused my son. hes in only underwear and he is 19 months. once we started day training he started staying dry for night and naps. it may sound weird, but what got him going all the time was walmart. he loved to go potty at walmart because after he went he got to go right up to the sink that they have for kids and wash his hands. he thought it was great, and started going more at the house then too. and now he ALWAYS has to go at walmart haha. but once i got rid of diapers all together he did great. and also taking away the changing table, hes a big boy now and doesnt need to lay down to get dressed.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 9:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2010