How can I get my almost 3 year old potty trained!

I have a boy...my first son who will be 3 at the end of this month, I am having a heck of a time potty trainning him. One day he is great with maybe one accident then the next day he won't pee or poop in the potty at all. He has always been scared of pooping in the potty but for the last few months I thought we had the peeing part down. Well here lately he hasn't been going at all. And I am starting to get frusterated. I don't scold him but I am so lost I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I look for signs and I ask him every 5 or 10 mintues and still take him if he says no, after nothing happens on the potty I let him up and within 10 mintues after that he is wet or just pooped in his diaper...can someone please help me...I know he wants to be a "big boy"

Jessica0720

Asked by Jessica0720 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get him big boy underwear with his favorite character on it and tell him he cant have them until he knows not to pee or poop on said character.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Potty Party.... Get a timer. A few special toys just for this party.
    I did this with both boys. I got stuff that was only for the party. I cleaned up the bathroom. Give them their favorite drink. You spend all the time in the bathroom. We play games, and every 15 minutes they spend 5 minutes on the potty. Until the first sucess. Then they get to go into the hallway, then the living room. Then you gradually move the time out longer in between potty times.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 7:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I say back off completely and try again in a few months. My 2nd DS was a nightmare to potty train. For some reason I thought he should be potty trained by his 3rd birthday. I nearly drove myself crazy, trying every trick in the book to get him to use the potty. The only thing that worked was to wait until he was ready. He didn't PT until 4 yrs 2 mos. If I had it to do over again I would just wait.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2010