I was babysitting 2 kids, 6 years and 3 years old who lied on me to his parents. What would you do?

I was babysitting these children for maybe 4 months. I have 2 kids of my own (2 & 3). From the first day I started keeping these kids they would hit, bite, push each other as well as my kids. The older child was the worst behaved kid I've ever come across...talked back, stole, tantrums, you name it. I made their mom aware of their behavior and she blew it off. I disciplined them by putting them in time out, as their mom wanted. I do spank my own kids (a light swat on the hand or butt) but never had to do so in the presence of the kids I babysit.

Anyway, their mom called me and said she was no longer bringing her kids. She said the older child had told her that I repeatedly threatened to spank the younger child ( a lie) and she said that her kids had started to hit each other at home, which she attributed to my spanking my kids.

This whole thing has me irritated. I am glad she no longer brings her kids because it was (CONT)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just wouldn't watch them
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• This is for the best. I also feel that this could lead to a big problem. The children might be mad that there mommy works. With that being said. I watched two children 8 mths and 5 yrs. when I was younger, and this girl was so mad that her mommy worked that she would take it out on me. She said to me the 5yrs I am going to tell my mommy that you hit my sister in the head. When she did that to me, I sat the mom down and told her what she said. The mother told me that is because she does not want me working. I only stayed for a few mths. and then left. This was for the best!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Unfortunately the only way to really protect yourself these days is to wire up some cameras! Not suggesting you take this route, just pointing out that this seems to be the only way to really save your ass should someone want to say untrue things. If you are going to make it a regular thing, watching others kids you may want to think about a web cam that you can save the video to. Should a parent make a CPS report on you about an untruth their kid told them this will go a looooong way in clearing your name. Personally I wouldn't watch others kids who don't agree w/ my disciplining style, if my kid needs a swat when their kids are around I'm gonna spank my kid! Obviously this mom doesn't care how her kids act or she would've listened to you when you brought up your concerns about how they were acting. I would've stopped watching them cuz I wouldn't want her little monsters teaching my kid anything! Don't worry, not worth it!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would be glad to be rid of them, and I wouldn't even bother to defend myself. If you want to spank your own children, that is your business and none of hers nor anyone else's. She wouldn't believe you, even if you told her the truth, so why worry about what she believes?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010