CAR SEATS

My son is two and a half yrs old, he'll be turning three the end of August, he weights about 34-37 pounds and is still pretty short in hight. I'm wondering if he is ready for just a seat belt or booster seat since the car seat seems to be getting to small for him, the belts are kind of tight when we buckle him in it, and we can't make it any looser the belts are already in the third whole, what do you guys think? Thanks for the help!

Stacy712

Asked by Stacy712 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• booster seats are for ages 4+ AND if they have outgrown the size restrictions on your current car seat.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We still used a carseat at that time with our son. FYI: You should check into your state laws as well. Our son is 5 and he has to be in a booster until he is 8-years-old or 4'9".
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our 5-pt harness (Cosco Scenera) goes up to 40 lbs & 43 inches. Our son is almost 3-1/2 and is of average height & weight. He'll be at least 4 before he's out of it. They are about $50 at Walmart or Target. I want my guy as safe as possible and I feel much better with the 5-pt harness. HTH!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• doodlebopfan - that's the carseat I have for both my kids.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You would need to check the laws. Here, a kid has to be 7 years old AND 47 inches to go without a booster.
    Just get a bigger 5point harness type seat. He's too short and too young to be in the booster.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Wanted to add that my niece learned how to unbuckle herself about 3 y/o, so we purposed to find one that would keep her in. Our niece was involved in a car accident (not her mom's fault) while in a Cosco Scenera and the only damage she suffered was bruises where the 5-pt straps grasped her and held her tight. When the ambulance came, they didn't take her out of the seat but took the car seat & all and strapped her into the ambulance with her mom & older sibling who recieved the brunt of the impact. We replaced her car seat and it's what all our kids have had. Be safe! :)

Also, the Scenera has 4 height & 3 crotch adjustments. It's very flexible for a growing boy! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thank You ladys! I will for sure be checking out the car seat that you mentioned! But i do have one more q? wouldnt it say on the carseat someone what age or weight? Please forgive me that probly seems like a really stupid Q? but this is still my first and only one (baby) so i'm kind of clueless when it comes to this short of time, thanks again! TC ALL!
    Stacy712

Comment by Stacy712 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you cannot find it on the carseat, google for the specs of that model. You should be able to find them pretty easily.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He for sure needs to stay in a harness... most states require they be 4 years AND 40 lbs... but more importantly most children aren't even mature enough to sit in a booster until they are closer to 5-6 years old. A child in a booster needs to sit correctly 100% of the time... not wiggling, slumping or goofing around.
    He'll need a new seat with higher limits. Because he's so big you'll want one that is over 40 lbs... at least 50 and 65 would be better.
    Convert to boosters
    The Evenflo Maestro is affordable... $75 and will harness to 50 lbs
    A better choice would be the Graco Nautilus $150 it will harness to 65 lbs
    A spendy but great seat would be the Britax Frontier $230 it will harness to 85lbs

There is also a few seats that don't switch to a booster but will harness to 65 lbs
    Graco MyRide- Forward face to 65lbs you can find it online for around $120
    Firstyears True fit- 65lbs $140
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• OP, Yes, there should be a sticker on the side of the seat. If it's a convertible seat, there will be one side that addresses the limitations for rear-facing (and that the straps should be below the shoulders) and the other side will address the limitations for forward-facing (and that the straps should be above the shoulders). They do vary, but the Scenera is a wide-range seat. There are others that go up to 65 or even 85 pounds, but he's been in this one since 8 months, so almost 3 years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563?findingMethod=rr

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010