When he puts his hand on the doodle pad....? Why is this happening?

Today a boy (4yo) I watched put his hand on the doodle pad & it left streaks (like the metal was lifting from his hand slightly like it would the pen touching the pad).
I tried the same thing with both me & my daughter & we left NO trace at all...
I tried multiple times, with both hands & feet... Me & DD leave NO trace.. But where ever he touches on the board you can very lightly see it..

(doodle pad is the toy you use the pen to write on the magnetic board & it shows up & u can erase it with the sweeper thing at the bottom)

--We are all sitting on the same couch. and im pressing down the same with all our hands..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Guess he just has a magnetic personality...lol....but seriously, some people just generate a stronger electromagnetic field than others.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Those doodle pads work because each honey comb is filled with an opaque white liquid and very find particles of iron oxide. The magnet at the end of the pen draws the iron oxide particles through the liquid and to the surface. The slide eraser repels them and push then back tot he bottom of the liquid. If your son is able to draw the iron oxide particles up to the top of the opaque white liquid that would mean he's has some kind of magnetic charge about him and that he is attracting the iron oxide up the surface like the magnet would.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• wow, interesting!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• maybe it was static electricity
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Never seen this happen with us- we have a magnadoodle type toy. Best toys ever :) But yeah this has not happened with us...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That's really interesting. I was thinking some kind of static charge as well, but I'm not sure.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• how is it static electricity? :)
    if everyone is sitting on the same furniture & its done multiple times? Understandable if its only a 1 time thing..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would think something to do with static electricity as well; everyone's body has it's own unique "current." The only other thing I could think of is that he has something magnetic on his hands; dust for a magnet he was playing with earlier?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010