Could my 8 year old be hitting puberty?

I noticed the other night when my daughter was dressing that it looks like her breasts are starting to grow and her nipples look swollen. Can she start this early? She is very slim and small for her age.

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's possible. Check with her physician to be sure.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 4:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Of course. I was a B cup at 8... Started my period at 9. And that was 20 years ago, I keep hearing how kids are starting younger and younger, so why not?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes it's possible. Kids are starting puberty earlier and earlier these days because of all the hormones in the foods.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I like Bethsunshine also believe that the hormones in the foods have to do with early puberty. I actually believe it is a combination of environment, (suggestive clothing for young kids, images on TV, etc) and the hormone induced foods. My son at 9 (he just turned 9) has full blown boy BO and HAS to wear deodorant daily. My daughter 8 (she just turned 8) has the occasional facial blemish and also has started to developed in the chest area. I have a half-sister that is 8 as well and my step Mom and I were discussing it recently as well. She also has noticed development of her daughter's, my half sister's, breast. Last week I read in the local paper a connection between depression and chicken. It's not only in our food, but in our drinking water as well. Drinking water is polluted with medicine and chemicals. Oh and for the chicken...I'm not so sure it's the chicken itself, IMO, it's most likely what the chicken eats.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you have been feeding your daughter conventional meat and dairy, then she has been exposed to hormones that can trigger early puberty.
    If you haven't started having conversations with her about her changing body and emotions, get moving!

Buckle up!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010