How can you harden your nails?

I recently stopped biting my nails. (I've done it since I was a little girl) I'm trying to grow them long but after they get to a certain point they start ripping off. I don't want to start getting into the habit of ripping them instead of biting them. Please help me with any and all suggestions because I am so new to having nails. Thank you so much for all the advice in advance!!

Dorothy24

Asked by Dorothy24 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You can Google it, but I always was told gelatin helps and there are some good nail hardners out there. Look near the nail polishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• OPI makes an awesome product called Nail Envy. It's more than drug store stuff, but it's worth it!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• They have nail polish hardners also take Biotin (it's a vitamin) for hair and nails.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thank for the advice ladies
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• take biotin supplements. my once-chipped, peeling, broken nails are hard as... well, nails. LoL
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There are products you can buy such as protein hardeners that will help add protein and collagen to the nails..
    or biotin supplements are great..

You can also get your nails reinforced with going to a nail technician and getting wraps put on your nails, however while it will make them feel harder, it's actually damaging to your natural nail plate.

There are also formaldehyde hardeners which creates a bridge or cross-links between keratin strands, however there are a lot of cons to using formaldehyde hardeners, so I don't recommend them (these are typical hardeners you'll find in your local stores mostly so be sure to try to find a protein based one rather than a formaldehyde hardener)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You can buy nail hardener polish. I can't remember the brand I use, but it works very well.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Try Juice Plus. My hair and nails are growing and much stronger since I starting using it. It's just fruits and vegetables in a capsule, but it's wonderful stuff. I get compliments on my hair, skin and nails all the time. I love it so much I became a Rep for the company to be able to sahre it with others. People I've recommended it to love it. www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010