Pagans and Wiccans...I am finding this topic a little fascinating at the moment please bare with me :)

I noticed in previous responses variations to practices. So I am wondering, are there names for the different belief/practicing groups under the Wicca and Pagan umbrella? For instance, under the Christan umbrella you have Baptists and catholics and Protestants....ect ect.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes there are allot, probably just as many of not more then the christian facets for example there are
    Guardnarian, Dianic, Eclectic, and Ank. These are just a few. If you have any questions you dont want to ask here you can message me :)
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Wicca is under the Pagan umbrella along with many others
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There are entire different religions under that umbrella. Where Baptists and Catholics are starting out using the same book and interpreting it differently, Pagans and Wiccans are all using entirely different books. There are branches of Wicca, and then in Paganism you're just using a blanket term to refer to Wicca and every religion that isn't Jewish/Christian/Muslim. Some people even include Buddhism in Paganism, despite some Buddhists considering it a philosophy and not even a religion at all. Pagan is more synonymous with "Judeo-Christian" and even then, it's still pretty far reaching.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hey thanks! I just dont want to come across as disrespectful. I truly believe strongly in my beliefs but that doesnt mean I believe others are wrong...if THAT makes sense! And I think it behooves people to learn more about those whose beliefs are different! I have a feeling in the end the ANSWER is probably a conglomeration of MANY beliefs!

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It should be added, too, that because it is so diverse, you can't really ask a question of "Pagans and Wiccans" and get any kind of universal answer. Whatever answers you get are true for the person doing the answer, but that doesn't mean they're true for anyone else who is labeled "pagan". They may not even believe in the same gods.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• How does it go......Ask 12 Pagans to define Paganism and you will get 13 different explanations

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Wicca is one of the many paths under the Title Pagan. There are many many many others. A few would be Druidism, Asatru, Discordianism, Egyptian, Kabbalah, and then there are those (like myself) who pull from many paths, we are generally called Eclectics.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Christianity takes almost all of its holidays and gives them pagan traditions so Paganism can't be that bad :) I am really into Celtic tradions and beliefs
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• IMO the number one best place to explore this question is the Pagan Primer at ecauldron.net. The Pagan umbrella covers a wide variety of very diverse beliefs and practices. The different sects within Christianity have at least a couple core beliefs that they agree on... the same can not be said of Paganism. A Wiccan (of which there are many sub-groups) and an Asatruar and a Chaote would all have very different answers for the most fundamental and basic questions.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010