Hysterectomy Question?? If you have had one please answer

Okay,I think it's time to consider a hysterectomy. I have suffered w/endometrosis since my 6 yr old came along. I will either need surgery to remove the endo again or a hysterectomy. I want info from other moms who have had one. I am afraid that i'm going to get fat and grow a beard if I have a hysterectomy. What has your experience been? At this moment,having a hysterectomy does not sound bad. I am at the end of my rope w/this pain!

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 5:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Health

• I don't have a beard! LOL I still have my ovaries, which can make a difference with hormones.

Some people think you will suffer, for me it was the opposite. Yes I had a total abdominal with an incision, so recovery was lengthy. But after all is said and done I feel sooooo much better. I was living with so much pain and heavy periods that I didn't know what it was like to be pain free. (I had adenomyosis which cannot be cured w/o hysterectomy)

Everyone is different, but I am super glad I did it!! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Check out Hystersisters.com (or .org or .net). I had my hyst 5 years ago. I do not yet have a beard, but I do get about 4-5 different stray hairs popping up over night. I had about 10 nights of hot flashes afterwards, but really am very happy that I did it. Check out my journal post about it. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Julie mine is low. I think of it as horizontal.... From hip bone to hip bone. (As an identifier of location, certainly not that long) They followed my original incision from a myomectomy I had done the year earlier. My adenomyosis came back very quickly so they did the hysterectomy. My surgeries were in 2006 & 2007.

Ironically, the hysterectomy recovery was easier than the myomectomy!
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I haven't had one (I got an ablation for my problems and it worked so I didn't need one) but I have known 4 women who have had them. All of them were happy they had it done. Three had it done laparoscopically and had pretty easy recoveries with very little pain. The one who had a midline incision with hers had loads of lasting problems after hers.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• love2snorkel, did you have a low transverse or midline incision?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My friend just had one and she loves it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I had one almost 9 years ago but I still have my ovaries and have been in menopause for a couple of years at least.  I did gain some weight but I've lost that and  I don't have any problems with facial hair. 

Honestly, for me it has been wonderful and I have no regrets.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You should talk to your Dr about an ablation like Julie had.  It wasn't possible for me but it sounds like you might be a good candidate for it.  It is far less invasive than a hysterectomy and has less possible complications.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What is an ablation?
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• An ablation is a procedure that destroys the inside of the uterus. I had HTA (hydrothermal ablation), which is really easy and non-invasive, but very effective. I didn't have endometriosis though, and I'm not sure how well it works for that. It's definitely something to check into, if your doctor thinks it would be a good option for you. I had a hysteroscopy, biopsy, D&C, and ablation and I was under for I think 30 minutes or so. The recovery is a piece of cake, just some cramping the first day.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010