do you think court ordered child support should ever be set at zero?

because mine is and I think it is not fair.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 6:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, it shouldnt be set at zero. Even if the noncustodial parent doesnt have a job thier child still needs to eat and needs a roof over thier head and clothes on thier back. I'd go back to court if I were you.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No.
    Even if he makes less than you do, he should have to contribute something. Unless he is in a coma, or has a severe injury that he absolutely can not work and only gets enough disability that he can survive.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I've never had to deal with that, but from an ignorant outside opinion (lol) I would see it as fair if both parties had joint custody to the point where the kids are with each parent the same amount of time. They should both be paying towards the benifit of their children...
    I would say if one or the other had the kids more often or like a primary custody situation, then the one with less time should help with expenses that it takes to raise their children in the other parents' home.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• mine may as well be. Just because mine is "court ordered" to pay doesnt mean i see it. he is court ordered to pay 430 a month and he skips about 3 months at a time usually then decides he will pay 1 months every now and then
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't believe in child support, I never have. My mother took our dad to court and he was ordered to pay it, but he never did. He was happy not knowing us and we were better for not knowing him. - I figure if he doesn't want to pay to support his kid(s) in one way or another then he doesn't get to see them, and if he is happy not seeing them then they and I can do better without him. I see no point in forcing a man who isn't acting like a father, to pay for children he has no contact with... Who does it help? No one. It adds stress to the mother and further strains any relationship there may ever be between the kids and father because chances are the kids know there is something going on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i took my ex to court for child support 4 years ago..biggest mistake of my life!!! he then started being in my daughters life..she was 2.5yrs at the time..now shes 6, and he has decided he wants nothing to do with her..he stopped paying, doesnt call, nothing!! im glad hes gone...but, its hard to see my daughter so sad.. :( i know that doesnt answer your question..i do think fathers should have to support the child...momma didnt make the baby on her own!! mom still has to pay bills, pay rent, buy groceries etc. even if shes only make a couple bucks..i dont think its fair that the father can get away with it..i agree with sabrinambrown to a point..im so sorry she went thru that..but being on the other end of this situation, i do look forward to the support money, or should i say i DID look forward to the money, now i dont get anything, but hes outta the picture, so i could care less!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I've only seen that happen when the children stay equal times with their mother & father. If that's not the case then I would go back to court......even if he makes less than you he is still obligated to help pay for your children.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 6:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• CAGRIL14-- she never met him till she was 8 only saw him once in a store he said I am you daddy she freaked--don't want anything to do with him.

shay1130 even if he doesn't pay, it accureds back support incase he ever wins the lottery, or get an inheritance.
    Colethky--the judge said it was he was following the law----what an excuse huh?--LOL
    blue_glass_mama

Comment by blue_glass_mama (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2010