Do you practice fire drills with your children at home?

I just saw a home burn to the ground on the news. It happened in minutes.

cafeclubmom

Asked by cafeclubmom at 6:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You Know, that is a good question. And actually Im taking it as an Education Statement and it Will be discussed tonight. We lost our home 2 years ago and no one was home at the time.(TG).
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We talk about it all of the time, but we haven't physically run outside yet. We live in a manufactured home with one set of stairs, and every room has a window or door (yes, it would be a little jump out) and our son knows what to do in case of fire. It is important to talk about it and do it, for sure! Practice makes perfect, and instill it in them at an early age.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Not yet. She does know and has known what to do in a fire since she was 2 and had her big bed she could get out of. She knows not to wait for us, leave the toys, blankets, dogs, everything and get out and go to the neighbor's house. I've discussed this with the neighbor and they have met. If the neighbor isn't home she is to stand in the driveway and wait for firefighters and do what they tell her to do if we don't make it out. She also knows my mom's name and # in case we don't make it out. We haven't actually had any drills though, just verbal questions at random times.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No. My oldest is 4, he doesn't quite get it yet. Plus, because of the way our house is built each room besides 2 have at least 2 doors out, and at least one window. Beyond going to the other door or jumping out a window, there isn't anything to practice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I haven't but then my son just turned 3. We will be starting soon.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010