Did we do the right thing?

Our 16 (almost 17) year old cat died this morning. We've known he was sick, and we'd been thinking about taking him to the vet for euthanasia counseling to put him to sleep, but he didn't make it. He had several seizures this morning and then he was out of it, he finally died about half an hour later (while we were debating what to do).

Anyway, we have never had a pet die on us before and we were unsure what to do. We called the Dumb Friends League and decided just to take him there to the pet intake and have him cremated in a mass cremation. We filled out paperwork, and then the lady took him back. We had already said our goodbyes while he was dying and we were there for him until he took his last breath, so we really didn't need to say anything else. But now I feel so bad for just leaving him. Did we do the right thing? Will I stop feeling guilty? We couldn't afford an individual cremation, and now I feel bad about it.

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pets

• im sorry i had to do the same thing a few years ago my cat was almost 19 years old and he did the samething and die in my arms and it hurt so bad cause i moved out of my parents house and i didnt want to take him into a new home sense he was old and i did and the next day is when he went if you need someone to talk to im here it will get better just give it time i still cry every once in awhile cause i do miss him he was the best cat i have ever had
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• aww, I'm so sorry for you and your families loss.
    You were there until the end, he knew he was loved. You did the right thing.
    Do you have any pictures of him? Maybe you can set out a framed picture of your beloved furry friend and light a candle once a year in his memory.
    Hope the grief passes quickly.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There's no reason to feel bad about it. You did what you could. Most people would just dig a hole and bury it in the back yard.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Aww mama...it is hard losing a pet. I think you did the right thing. You said your good-byes and all. You could make a little marker in the yard or something as a memorial, or buy a little urn as a symbol.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think you did the right thing. But I usually bury my pets that have died in the back yard. Though the only pets that I have that have died were ferrets and they are small. I am not sure what we will do when either our cats or dogs die. I am sooo sorry for your loss though! Our pets are our family!
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• you did more than what i wouldve done...i wouldve dug a hole in my back yard and stuck him in it. why feel guilty? you do what you can. He died of old age...nothing to feel guilty about
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• yes im sorry to here that but no you did what you had to do but everything will be ok
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You didn't do anything wrong, what you are feeling right now is grief because of the loss, no matter what you did you would be feeling the same right now. Let yourself feel sad without attaching guilt to it,  if you can.

If after some time has passed and you decide that you wished had had done things differently, it's okay, just use this experience for the next time.

I'm really sorry for your loss, it's just a hard thing to deal with, your cat knew he was loved and that's what matters.  You can still have a memorial for him with your family where you share pictures and memories.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's better a day too soon than a moment too late. But if you've never been "there" before, how do you know that? Don't beat yourself up. But next time, consider euth before the bad days outnumber the good. Animals live in the here and now. They can't think back over the good ol' days. If today sucks, life sucks. So as stewards of these creatures we have the ability to give them one last gift--a peaceful end.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 6:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You did what you had to do under the circumstances. You and family are just too emotional over what's happened try not to dwell on what you had to do. Treasure the memories. I’m sorry.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010