Landlord wants her MOM to change my A/c filters monthly.

My landlord is an old high school friend. When I saw that in the lease it says: Owner will provide pest control and will change the air conditioner filters monthly.
I told her that I am 22 years old, not 12, and can change the myself. She said that would be fine. I haven't heard a peep about this until yesterday, I get an e~mail::: The lease requires that I inspect and change the filter monthly, so please advise a time in the next couple of days that I can do that for July.

I also need to measure for the door.

Thanks < However, it says OWNER in the lease, not some stranger or mother.
Now, I am pregnant, and do not want some woman in my house, they don't even do the pest control monthly!!!
What would you say or do?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 6:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Health

• I would just let them know that you've allready done it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The owner usually has the right to send someone into the home to do maintenance.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I wrote her back and said: the air filters have already been changed, thank you!

smokisses

Comment by smokisses (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The owner has the right to send someone into the home to do maintenance. There is nothing you can really do about it. Sorry.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would let her do it. While she's at it ask about the mnthly pest control as well. You pay rent there...they might as well hold up thier end of the deal and maintain everything.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• As Erin814 said the owner does have the right to send in 'maintenance'. The maintenance person can be anyone they want really. You don't need a license HVAC person to change the filter. So if she landlord wants her mother to come in and do that on her behave then she's within her legal right to do. You signed the lease as it was written, so any verbal you may have had is null and void really (At least that is my understanding). You really are going to have let the Landlord's Mother in do the maintenance or risk the consequences of not following your written lease.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• "I would like the lease followed as you legally have to do. YOU may inspect my system, because YOU are the only one given permission in the lease. YOU also should start doing the pest control because until you do I am not obligated to follow a set of rules that you ignore."

For me pleasantries go out the door when someone tries to walk on me...especially if I was pregnant.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'd remind them that the lease also says they will do pest control that they are not providing so the lease isn't being adhered to. I'd offer to amend the lease at her convenience bc I wouldn't allow anyone in my apt each month either. I'd measure whatever needed to be measured and send those measurements.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The landlord has to give you 24 hour notice before coming or sending anyone to the house. Thats it. It is there house you are only renting. IF you dont want them coming in then your only other alternative is to buy your own home. When this person comes get your lease out and ask them when they will be doing the monthly pest control. Why spend the money on the filters if they are willing to change them?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• All the landlord needs to do is give you 24 hour notice. That's it. I would bring up the pest control thing though.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010