How do I get my son to stop squishing the bread?

My son is going to be 3 this month & he LOVES to hug loaves of bread. He'll hug them, sit on them, punch them, poke them... He just loves it. We are going through like twice as much bread because of this! We put it up, he'll get it down, we hide it, he finds it - my kitchen is really really small & he can reach just about all of it that I can...

we put him in time out but that does nothing, I smack his fingers and tell him no, that does nothing...

I'm tired of buying bread every day because he won't stop squishing it... Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We use time-outs, consistently.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Your soon to be 3 year old son can only do what you allow him to do. Put your bread on top of the fridge and moniter what he is doing :) Good luck
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He loves to love the bread ma,LOL.
    Well, I think you've already tried everything I would have already done.
    All I can say is..maybe this is one that you may just have to wait out until he grows out of it,lol.
    Or maybe get him a really squishy and soft teddy bear to squeeze on in its place? Everytime he does it to the bread, give him the bear and say no...this is for hugging.
    Idk...it may be worth a shot.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• maybe put it on top of the fridge. I keep mine in a bread box
    I'd also make him eat sandwiches out of the squished bread.
    if it's really squished though, I put it in the oven on low heat for several hours then put it in the food processor - bread crumbs for cooking!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Put the bread in a cupboard and put a child-lock on the cupboard.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Divid the bread in 3's and just leave out 1/3 of out and freeze the rest. The 1/3 hide in your closet. Oh, and buy in a punching pillow or something.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It sounds like it has become a game for him. Consisten time-outs with a firm no sounds like the way to go.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm not there yet so I don't know. Maybe buy a loaf for HIM and he can do what he wants with it but he MUST leave all the rest of the bread alone. Can you tell I'm not there yet? Hee hee!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have a bread box but it is no deterrent, he just waits til Im in the bathroom and goes and gets it. On top of our fridge is a cupboard & I'm to short to reach up there...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Locked cabinet sounds like a solution. Can you get him some sort of bean bag toy/chair he can have the same type of fun with?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010