How do you balance your work at home day?

Just wondering ~ how do you fit everything in?? With kids, exercise, housework, running errands and trying to build a successful work at home business ~ what is your routine? It doesn't seem possible to get everything in, but I know there are lots of moms who are doing it! Please share your daily routines!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• When I had a home sewing business I did it 3-4 days per week. I did housework on a different day. I did necessary errands in the AM before starting my work (or on the housework day AM). I took a break when kids got home from school and then did a little more work before starting dinner, etc. After dinner was time for homework and family. During the times that I had more work than usual I did pizza for supper and worked on weeekdns if I really had to.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am a retired Mom, so I am not doing the balancing act anymore. I might add that it is not easy at all with Children. my advice is strict time management. Setting aside time for each days activities and sticking with it. After they grow up and leave home on their own, keeping up with family matters and working can be difficult too, but rewarding.
    Good luck,
    desertlady

Answer by desertlady at 7:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I work a full time job outside of the house and work in the evening building my business. It is not easy but my kids are older so when it is work time they know. I heard something that may be very helpful for you. Work your business in 15 to 30 minute timeframes. Schedule these short times throughout the day 4 to 6 different times and then make sure to get busy working those times. I make all of my calls from 6 to 8 every night but that may not work as easily for your schedule.
    Good luck
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• To be honest with you.. it's not easy..  I have to make sure I stay on a schedule (for the most part).  The worst is family and friends. they ASSUME I am available at their beck and call.  :0)

imomnews

Answer by imomnews at 9:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Exercise before kids get up or after they go to bed. Take a 15 minute break in the AM & PM and a 30-45 minute lunch break. Take off one day a week (everyone should have a day off to recharge) and clean a room a day, so you aren't spending your day off cleaning. Make sure the kids have age appropriate things to occupy them when you are "working" and make sure to set ground rules and stick to them, and let your friends and family know your "work hours" and tell them you won't be available during those hours unless it's work related. If they do call you, then you can tell them you will call them back when you are "on break" or "off for the day". And when you are off then you can give kids individualized attention.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2010