What would you do if you couldnt stand up for what you believe or vote for what you believe in?

This is how i feel with my inlaws. I cannot voice my opinion about certain things that they do not agree with. Last time I did this it was an out of control battle between the entire family. Half agreeing with me, half not. I feel like i cannot even think in my own mind about certain things. It causes such a problem yet i'm such a strong believer in the things i believe in. I feel like I shouldn't even go VOTE for certain things!!!
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't really let others influence me much and no one can shut me up. lol
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My parents are exactly like your in-laws I cannot voice anything they do not agree with, especially my religion, they will simply not listen and just scream at me. To be honest I just keep tight lipped, there is no other way to keep harmony in this sort of situation and if they are never going to accept your personal beliefs then there is no need to tell them to them. That's the way I see it anyway.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I know it's frustrating, but don't let the way they react to your beliefs impact how you express yourself. They are strong in their beliefs, you are strong in yours, if there can't be a common ground between the two, I suggest keeping the piece by either changing the subject or just not bringing it up. Not saying that you should "give in" to them, but it may prevent arguments. Sometimes you just have to show that you're the mature one and just let it go. As for voting, by all means, VOTE! It's none of their business who or what you vote for. You don't have to answer to them.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Lol I meant "peace" not "piece" it's been a loooooooooooooong day
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I pretty much agree with the first poster, when I have an opinion even if it is not popular you will never shut me up, but you got to learn how to debate without insulting, or going personal, just a point of view.

Answer by older at 7:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would realize that there are certain battles not worth fighting. My hubby's brother and sister's in law are such people I won't have a discussion about politics, religion, or really anything important because we have such different opinions. And that's ok with me. But I will go and vote for who I want and I just don't discuss my voting habits with the inlaws. Hubby agrees with me and keeps his opinions to his self as well.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have never let the feeling or thoughts of others alter my opinions or shut me up. Whether they agreed or not, I would still voice my opinion, if they don't like it, they don't have to talk to me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I understand they have their opinion. And as they are about 20-40 years older than i am, I still keep my peace. I am a great debater, they call names and then start saying inappropriate things about me and my daughter and my family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• sounds like they aren't worthy of your opinion, you, your daughter or your family. i'd stay away from them as much as possible. people like this only serve to bring you down. what's the reason for putting yourself in a situation where you're only going to feel bad? just don't do it. hold your head high, stand your ground, and walk away. they sound like bullies..and we all know bullies are just insecure small-minded people.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There is a verse in the Bible that says to live in peace as best as you can. There are some people with whom the best way to live peacably is to just keep quiet. You can still have your own convictions and you can still vote anyway you choose. You just don't have to tell them about it. I understand that we all want to be heard and have the right to say what we are thinking, but sometimes, it is simply better to keep silent.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010