has your baby ever gone cross eyed

My daughter is eight and a half months old and just recently she started going cross eyed. Its a couple times a day now and I thought it was just when she was focusing on something but I noticed that she has done it when she was just looking around sometimes. Should I be worried?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd bring it to the attention of the pediatrician.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would take her to a pediatric opthomalogist for a check up. My oldest son was doing this and he wound up needing glasses and patch therapy. It could be nothing, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Good luck
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My daughter and son both did when they were born up until about... 6 months? They were preemies, and their opthamologist said it was their muscles gaining strength. He said to rattle something in their faces to help them focus.
    I agree with layh I would take her to one, it might not be anything serious, it could be something fixed right now... who knows! But it definitely doesn't hurt. Best of luck to you. :]
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It could be nothing or it could be strabismus (crossed eye) Is it just one or both. I wouldnt take her in, i would just ask the pedi at her 9 month appointment. It is normal to a point to do it in the first year :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would check with your Dr. But I have heard that a little of this is ok. WHen they are young their eyes muscles havent completely developed which causes them to cross. My son had a little of this and we went to see a specialist. it corrected itself on its own. But I would still check with you Dr. It could be something else.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Ok thank you. Her apointment is coming up soon. It seems to be both eyes. It first started when she started clapping her hands in front of her and when she would hold something close to her face but not its other times too.
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes I'd take her in right away. This happened to a good friends baby and they were going to have to have surgery, they had a date set for it and everything, but they usually try an eye patch first to try to retrain the eye I guess? The Dr. wasn't very hopeful that it would work tough and said it usually requires sugery (at least the type she had I guess)... but luckily it did!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think their Dr. told them that it wasn't normal for babies to cross their eyes after like 5 months... and I want to say that it started around 5-6 months with her and it kept happening more often and for longer periods of time.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son was crossed eyed from about 3 months to about 7 months, he's fine now. Some kids just have weak eye muscles and I think some just learn to cross their eyes and its fun.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 7:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2010