How do I help my best friend ?

My best friend is having a baby.. She was tested for everything her doctor called and requested to see her she was told that her baby may have down syndrome the teat (from her blood) showed it but he can not be sure . He set an appt. for her to see another doctor. How do i tell her if it was me i would not get that shot . I feel that having that shot is a risk and could her harm plz i need some advice . I am very worried for her and i do want to support her too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If she just had the marker test, it can't tell you whether or not your baby has down syndrome. It can only give you a ratio describing your risk. When you say shot, are you talking about amnio? She needs to make that decision based on her actual risk.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• First remember that these tests they do for down syndrome and other genetic disorders are not very accurate. What shot are you talking about her getting? There is no shot that can help anything. I think either she or you are confused. You need ot research this more and the doctor needs to explain things better ot her.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm told the shot is one that they do to draw fluid from the cord thats attached to the child .. They enter thru the naval.. I think it is risky.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• IMO i would not have that done sorry.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010