Gallbladder Question???

I am a 21 year old female. I am 5'2" and 180 lbs. I just recently delivered my second child. During my third trimester with my most recent pregnancy, I started to get a sharp pain randomly in my right upper abdominal area below the rib cage. The pain would radiate toward my back and would cause nausea. After I deliver, I continued to have the pain. I went to a gastro specialist and he ordered an ultrasound to check for gallstones. The ultrasound showed no gallstones but a slightly enlarged spleen and liver. Then my doctor ordered lab work but it came back normal. Next my doctor ordered a HIDA scan. My ejection percentage was 92%. However, my doctor claims that this is a normal percentage and he no longer wants to pursue the gallbladder area. From my research online, I have found that 92% is a very high percentage and that could be the reasoning for my pain. So I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on my situation????

RobinE8

Asked by RobinE8 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Health

• I'd get a second opinion
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think that is my best, and only, option left!
    RobinE8

Comment by RobinE8 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would def get a second opinion. My mother had the same problem, they didn't want to give her surgery because all her ultrasounds kept coming back showing no stones. She eventually had to insist that the preform the surgery anyway because she couldn't stand the pain constant attacks were giving her. As it turned out, she didn't have stones..but her gallbladder was full of a sludgey..sandy like subtance. It's a good thing that she insisted they give her the surgery.

When I had mine out a year ago they tried to tell me it was acid reflux. Glad I got a second opinion.
    ktonastick

Answer by ktonastick at 7:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just for experimentation, try changing your diet (lower amounts of fatty foods and dairy products) and see if you feel any better. I had an "attack" of what I thought were gall bladder issues, it started in a familiar way with what I thougt was heartburn, but got much worse and very different symptoms I'd never had before. I was simply unable to eat anything but very bland food for about two weeks afterward. I decided to change my diet to see if it would change anything. I haven't had any more symptoms at all, not even heartburn ever since.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I already changed my diet during my pregnancy because I had gestational diabetes. I kept the same diet even after pregnancy so it isn't the diet issue. But thank you for your input!
    RobinE8

Comment by RobinE8 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• To be on the safe side get a second opinion.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Go to another doc! My doc blew off my attacks, too, and so did the ER where I delivered my son, so I llit it go and figured maybe it was just a post pregnancy thing. Next thing I know, I'm in the ER (different hospital) with a severe attack & jaundice b/c teeny, tiny stones had escaped from my very infected gallbladder and plugged up my bile ducts. My pancreas practically shut down and I had peritonitis, too. It was awful!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• 30 -40% is normal. 92% is way high. There are Canadian studies that reveal that high % is likely a diseased gall bladder.

I'm in the same boat. Mine is 66%. The hida scan induced an attack. I've seen 2 different surgeons who refused. I've had upper & lower GI's. I had two ovarian cysts removed because he was the only dr that would look inside. He checked the outsides of my intestines too.

I'm waiting for another attack. I've heard of a surgeon at another hospital that goes on symptoms not tests.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010