Jewish Burial Laws & Lazarus

During the time period when Jesus would have lived the local laws required that family members visited the tomb of passed loved ones every day for three days before allowing them to seal the tomb on the fourth day. This was done because there had been so many false burials due to their lack of medical training (comas, catatonic states and similar issues were commonly mis-labeled as death). IF after three days the body showed signs of decomp, death was proven, if not they were not allowed to completely seal the tomb.

Could the resurrection of Lazarus or other similar stories have been simple cases of mistaken death and seen as resurrection by those who wanted to see it as such?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Could the resurrection of Lazarus or other similar stories have been simple cases of mistaken death and seen as resurrection by those who wanted to see it as such? "
    I think it's entirely possible-
    but be prepared for a lot of disagreeing comments
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think that is very possible. I read a book on the subject once and it was very interesting. So many people used to be interred when they were not dead, even in the last century. So it's entirely possible.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It has crossed my mind often...as well as Jesus himself. Something to think about.....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I do think it is possible.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Very interesting. I do think it is possible and I appreciate you posting this.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• definitely possible
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• no, John 11:14 - Jesus says Lazarus is dead; John 11:17 - Lazarus had been in the grave already for four days; John 11:39b By now his body must smell, for it has been four days since he died!"
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I suppose for the sake of argument that it could be possible...if you don't believe that Christ is Lord. But I do believe Christ is Lord and I believe the Bible.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• bonn - for arguments sake, that passage is ASSUMING that the body is stinking, for it says "now his body MUST smell" it never actually states that it DOES stink. And the law of the day did not allow for tombs to be completely closed until day 4, because it was not uncommon for people to be entombed alive in those days...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• totally
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010