EATING PLACENTA? =/

ok so i was browsing youtube last night and i was watching birth videos, (im pregnant and i was in a curious mood) even though i already went through it..anyway some how i got redirected after a while of watching videos to a couple of videos of people eating ether their own placenta or a family member placenta. i was in shock because i wasn't really sure if it was true or anything. anyway turns out some people do actualy do this. personally i think its kinda gross. im sorry but i dont mean to offend anyone. i was just curious as to why some of you do it? and what it's benefits are? i mean i was want to know everything about it and why you do it pretty much? anyway like i said no offense to those who do it!

ABBY90

Asked by ABBY90 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have heard of it, but didn't do it. If I did I wouldn't put it on YouTube!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I really don't know, yet I don't see how any one can eat it. I'd never be able to.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• When my SIL had her youngest child the midwife asked them if they wanted to keep the placenta.....my brother looked at her kinda weird and said no. At home he looked it up and found out that in some cultures it's supposed to be good luck to the mother and baby (since she's breastfeeding). It is also supposed to be extremely nutritious......personally I'm grossed out by it. There are other cultures that bury the placenta......that's also supposed to be good luck.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It actually is pretty common in some cultures....some people here in the US will keep it to bury and plant a tree with....nice idea but I still think it's kinda icky....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• well the video i saw was of people from the US.. i mean i heard of cats and dogs do it but a human? NO THANKS! lol
    ABBY90

Comment by ABBY90 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Woops.....I meant to say "good luck to the mother and baby when the mother eats it."
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would have done it if I could have. (The hospital kept mine for tests). It's packed with nutrients. Animals do it. People in other cultures do it. Those are my reasons. ...Also there's something symbolic/ritual about it that appeals to me.

Of course it will gross some people out, that's perfectly normal I think, anything involving body parts that isn't part of your own culture usually carries a huge yuck factor (like how my mom's college rommates from Japan reacted the first time they saw an American toilet - they couldn't believe we actually put our naked butts on the same spot where other people had put THEIR naked butts lol!!)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Off topic here but I was pregnant and lived in Japan and I almost FREAKED out when I thought I was going to have to do yoga to go to the bathroom. We moved to on base housing right away and I didn't have to worry about it. The Japanese toilets are clean but with my waddly butt I couldn't squat over anything without help LOL.

As for the OP, I couldn't eat my own body part but I wouldn't slight anyone's culture for doing so.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think its kinda icky, reminds me of Cannibalism, but two each there own.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010