safe snacks for kids with peanut allergies

we will start getting my stepdaughter on the weekends and she has a peanut allergy so I need to get the kitchen cleaned up and peanut free..... She is 5 years old

foursons

Asked by foursons at 2:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• gold fish crackers!!!. my cousin couldn't have nuts at all and a lot of things are made around nuts. so read labels. but all my cousin ever ate when she was that age was gold fish lol so try that and organic fruit snacks are good too they taste great and are made with mostly 98% juice.
    natlb202

Answer by natlb202 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• There are actually a lot of things that are safe. Start checking the labels on the things you do buy. Anything with an allergen warning - including "may contain" or "processed in a plant..." et al - is something to avoid. It's not easy to give a list of specific products, honestly, products change plants or lines and that can change the 'safety status' for allergic people. It's important to check the labels each time you buy. That said, my peanut allergic daughter loves Goldfish crackers, pretzels (NOT Synders! They are NOT safe), certain crackers, chips, veggie chips, crackers and cheese, fruit snacks, Hershey kisses, junior mints, fresh fruit, etc and so on.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions or for more suggestions.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• www.foodallergy.org is invaluable for information pertaining to kids with food allergies, especially peanuts. You have to read the labels religiously because even non peanut snacks may be made where peanut snacks are made.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• live by the golden rule - if god didn't make it - don't eat it - fresh fruit is always the perfect snack
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 9:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Wheat Thins ( Original) are excellent as snacks too..my 5 yr old loves them and it's healthy..Hope it helps.
    Anonymous