going to the beach with 8 kids..

So I got some good feedback and am hoping for some more, we are going to the beach the end of the month. 5 adults 8 kids. How do we keep the peace? Only the oldest is a boy so 7 girls...

We will have a 13, 12, 11, 10, 6, 5, 4 and 1 year old with us, We already have a buddy system set up with the older kids and the adults all know which kids they are in charge of watching. I just don't want to hear the fighting, mainly from the older kids. We are all great friends and our kids have known each other since birth, its a full week of togetherness, we have done it before, but not for as long. So really I just need ideas for the time we are not at the beach.

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 8:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Travel

• Set some rules and hope for the best. Otherwise have fun.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Board Games!
    Ibulili

Answer by Ibulili at 8:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I bet they'll have a great time. While you are at the beach they'll be happy. The only time you'll have to worry about is restaurants. I bet they surprise you. We went away last year with 7 kids and it rained the whole time. They kept busy doing their nails, doing puzzles, playing hide and seek. It was a lot of fun! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Apples to Apples Jr., Catch Phrase, Guestures, are a few of our favorites. They always get a laugh and everyone can play. Adults and kids. Even my 3 year nephew likes to play Guestures (someone has to read him the card though :)
    Ibulili

Answer by Ibulili at 8:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Well, we just did this but it was 8 adults (sometimes more) and 8 kids. Our ages were: 13, 10, 10, 7, 7, 5, 3, 3. Six of the adults were parents.

Each parent is responsible for their own kid. There needs to be some leeway with discipline though...your kid is acting like a jerk...the other parents should be able to say something. This is where most fights come in, I find. Not so much with the kids, they can resolve their own stuff if you leave them to it. Adults? Whole different matter.

Make sure that you all aren't together the entire time. Each family needs to have "down" and "alone" time. That will help TONS.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 8:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Have fun!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010