Is there anything I can take to making pooping easier?

I'm about 7 months pregnant and have been having large stools that hurt. Is there anything I can take so it doesn't hurt so much!!?!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ask your doctor to prescribe you a stool softener. That and a high fiber diet work wonders.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's prob the iron pills--they constipate you. There are a zillion things you can do....
    easiest-drink more water.....PRUNES....warm tea...PRUNES...oh and PRUNES...lol
    Over the counter-colace...it's a stool softener or MOM (milk of magnesia 30 cc once a day)

If it cont ask your OB for other med suggestions....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Prunes and more PRUNES! lol My mom takes one prune a day.....like apples.lol keeps the doctor away! haha
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• From WEBMD.com

Constipation. During pregnancy, the muscle contractions that normally move food through your intestines slow because of higher levels of the hormone progesterone. Add to that the extra iron you're getting from your prenatal vitamin, and the result is uncomfortable constipation and gas that can keep you feeling bloated throughout your pregnancy. Increase your fiber intake and drink extra fluids to keep things moving more smoothly. Physical activity can also help.

If your constipation is really bothering you, talk to your doctor about what mild laxative or stool softeners are safe to use during pregnancy.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Colace (stool softener) or Metamucil works good also!!!
    tinkerbell319

Answer by tinkerbell319 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Drink lots of water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Eliminate white/simple grains, and eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day (in at least three different colors), and at least two servings of legumes a day. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Lots and lots and lots of fiber and water :) Or Chinese food that always does the trick for me :)r
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Lots of water and I started the Activia challenge and believe it or not it really does help. Yogurt is a good preggo food so why not eat one that will help you poop =) I have one or two a day and its really amazing and not really expensive either good luck!
    Linda_PF

Answer by Linda_PF at 8:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My OB told me to try Miralax if my diet changes didn't help. He said to take the powdered form with a glass of juice. You have to take it 2-3 days in a row before it will start to help, but it worked wonders with getting me going. I also ate prunes. Those helped, too.
    mandipandy07

Answer by mandipandy07 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2010