Anyone member of the PTA?

My 4 year old dd will be starting Pre-k next month. I want to be as actively involved in her school as possible. If you are a PTA member, what types of duties do you do, and has it helped you meet other moms and become friends of them?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 8:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in

• I'd like to become a member once my kids are in school.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am a PTA member for my son's school. I didn't hold any important titles like president, V-President, etc or anything like (nor would I want to). I was just a member who filled out a form and checked what I would be interested in volunteering for. For my son's Pre-K year, I was room mom and I volunteered for 2 different activities. One was the annual fundraiser- Round-up. I donated a few ideas for the auction and baked a few things for the cake auction. The second thing major event was the end of the year book fair. I volunteered a few hours of my time to ring up the totals of the books and give back the correct change. I also read to my son's class a few times last year. As far as getting to know other moms, I didn't really get to do that other than at the book fair. More of my volunteering was sending things in or donating things, etc. I did get to know my son's teacher very well though. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Cont.. He starts Kindergarten in 5 weeks and my goal is to be a little more open to meeting other moms. (I can be a bit shy). I do work a full time job, but my goal is to spend at least 1 day a month volunteering for something at my son's school. I really think that his school is great because of 2 things- the teachers and the many volunteers that they have. Every school will have opportunities for every mom that wants to participate. You just have to let them know. Even if you work full time or you have little one's at home. There is a need that can be filled by them. It doesn't take much to change a child's world and school environment into a great place to be!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I support the PTA, but I'm not a member. I volunteer at the school library and occasionally in class, but I try to stay under their radar. They do fantastic work, though, and I applaud them for it.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 9:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Our school has a PTF (Parent Teacher Fellowship) of which I am a member. I volunteer with activities from time to time, but I don't hold an office. I wouldn't want the hassle of it!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Last year, I was the VP of Budget & Finance; I also inherited the Treasurer position midway through the school year. For the upcoming school year, I am the Treasurer again. I write all of the PTA checks, make all of the deposits, keep the financial records, balance the bank statements, and report the finances at all board and general meetings. I also help out with events where needed, like working concessions at the school carnival, etc. I have met quite a few moms and dads, as well as the school principal and several teachers, through the PTA.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010