do you have to fight with your kids to get them to clean their room or even pick up after themselves??

i am at my wits end and about to go on toy patrol with trash bags....whatever is in the floor get taken...i have been trying soo hard to keep my house presentable and my kids go right behind me trashing the place. they are 3 and 5....i am soo frustrated!

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 8:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I tell my 4 yr old to remember that she's going to have to clean up whatever she brings out. If she talks back to me or throws a fit, I put her in the corner for 4 minutes. When she gets out, she cleans up her toys and says she's sorry. I know every child is different, but that is what works for me. GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have a three and five year old, and I know exactly what you mean. Luckily our five year old will pick up her stuff and help out around the house. Getting my three year old to do anything is like pulling teeth. I am fighting with him right now to get his room cleaned and I am going crazy. We tried taking his toys away, putting them in trash bags, he doesn't care. Soon he will have nothing else left and I'm at a loss. Hope you get the help you need sweetie!!
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• no, because he knows I will throw or give away his toys....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Teach them young! Teach them now!!!! I get frustrated too...our DD is 3 and her room is trashed within 5 min...lol I usually sing "pick up pick up put away!!!"...lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• maybe make a game of it...the toys have to go night, night too...they get scared left by them self on the cold floor...help me, I need help picking up the toys....who can pick up the most toys....i bet mommy can....then you be real slow at what you do....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son was awesome about cleaning up until he hit about age 13. LOL Now, I would like to throttle him about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think its par for the course. Its normal for kids to make messes and its good for them to be able to have free play w/o having someone cleaning up after them. My kids make messes, but are fully expected to clean up before nap time and bed time every day. Some days its easier than others, but at 3 & 5, they're young still and are needing to be guided in what your expectations are.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• At that age, its really hard. They just get caught up in playing and really have no idea they are making a mess.

I allow my kids to make a mess, but when I tell them its clean up time, I expect them to do as i say and clean. But my kids are almost 7 and 5.

When they are your kids age I would make it a game. Turn on a fun kid song LOUD! Tell them to see if they can do the whole room by the time the song is over.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i have tried games rewards punishment....everything and i get told flat out no.....i allow them to get out toys but before bed time they must clean up. and it is a fight. and i end up giving up after 2 or so hours of fighting with my 5 year old..now my 3 year old is actually good about cleaning untill his older sister starts her fits then he follows suit......i took their lovey bears and told them they are not getting them back until the room is clean ..my son is in there working away as my DD is throwing a tantrum. so i just came back to the corner and am ignoring her little fit. i am so tired of this power struggle with her. i duno what else to do. today we were supposed to go see "dispicable me" as it came out in theaters today they had to clean their room first. guess what we didnt get to see the movie....
    sweetestkitten

Comment by sweetestkitten (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• with my oldest(12 1/2) and youngest (5 in august) NO but my 8yr old YES!! that child is lazy!!
    karaa3

Answer by karaa3 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2010