How quickly should you take your child to the doctor when they have a fever?

My son has had a fever off and on since the 4th of July and I took him to the doctor today and the nurse that took care of him kind of gave me a dirty look when I told her he had had the fever for 5 days. When are you supposed to bring them in when they get a fever? Please no bashing.

jamesmommy512

Asked by jamesmommy512 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• my dd has never had a fever for more than 3 days. i'v never taken her in for it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Probably 3 days if asprin or motrin would not get it to stay down. I can understand you waiting if your little one didn't have any other symptoms though.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think if a fever lasts more than 2-3 days you should take em in. She shouldn't have made you feel guilty.....I don't know how old your son is, but it could be anything from teething to the flu....you never know...but if meds are helping and it doesn't last more than a couple days it's no big deal...if meds aren't helping and it lasts longer then that and/or there are other symptoms, then I take my kiddos in
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If he is above 100 degrees take him in. Other wise if he has no there symptoms and it is low grade then he should be ok. What did the dr say was wrong with him?
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 8:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Ignore the nurse. Did you try Tylenol or Motrin? At 5 days thats about right.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son is 2 but I don't have a thermometer so the only way I knew he had a fever was because he felt warm.EWhen the nurse took his temp it was 102.6. It turned out he had an ear infection.
    jamesmommy512

Comment by jamesmommy512 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Unless there are other symptoms or the fever is high enough cause damage (over 104*) or consistently over 102* for more than two days without lowering, I wouldn't take them. A fever is a sign that the body is fighting off something naturally, if you take them to the doctor they are just going to give them meds and HOPE they are the right ones to deal with the real issue. I would prefer that my kids build a naturally strong immune system over filling them full of needless chemicals...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It depends on the age of the child and how high the fever is. For a new baby, all fevers should be taken seriously. For a child who is older, it depends on other symptoms as well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I usually take the kids in if they have a fever for more than 24 hours.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our doctor's guideline is 3 days with a fever unless there are obvious signs of something - like vomiting, inconsolable screaming (like a infant who has an ear infection), and in my boys' cases, something that looks like the chicken pox (they had them 3 yrs apart.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010