Discovery/ Nature Journaling?

I want to start nature journaling would like to try watercolor. I'm not an artist in the least but it something I want my kids to do. does anyone else do this? and what products do u use. do u use watercolor or colored pencils? what brand? The kids will start w/ the crayola but I was thinking of buying nicer stuff for me. Hubby thinks I'm silly for wanting to buy more than crayola when I have never done anything like this before. Should I start out w/ colored pencils instead of watercolor? And what brands should I start out with? I homeschool my kids and think this would be a great thing to add to their days.

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 9:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm not sure, but I think this is an amazing idea! Good luck with it!!!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Prismacolor is the best and make certain to get watercolor paper, cheapest kind is fine.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• supplies to start - crayola water colors in tray, medium quality paper ( cheap will wrinkle ), water color tray for mixing color, rubber cement for blocking color for places you want to leave white. watr color pencils are good for detail work but not required to start. water color brushes ( fine point, angle brush, and large brush).
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If you want to try water colors, get some water color pencils. They are a lot of fun to work with. We do nature journals as part of our homeschooling, we one each (both girls and myself). I bought spiral bound sketch pads and they work really nicely. I love the look of sketches and notes all blending together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010