What's the first step of making my own quilt?

Should I begin with only one square repeating it throughout, or Should I look at colors first? I wanted silver as a main color, but maybe that wouldn't go with the country theme I like?

Asked by txdaniella at 9:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you like to learn on your own, I recommend getting a book. There are lots of good ones, but my first one was terrific. It's called "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide." As far as getting started, you have to plan the quilt before you buy your fabric, or else you won't know how much to buy. Do you already have a block pattern chosen?

Answer by getrealmama at 3:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• find a patern, then pick fabrics.

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The first step would be to take a beginning quilt class. There are a lot of new techniques. It is important to be familiar with the math involved with quilting, the terms, 1/4th inch seam allowance, the accuracy in cutting and stitching, etc. It will save you a lot of waste and frustration.

Answer by joysings at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I made a quilt on the machine years ago (in high school) but want to try it the old fashioned way this time. Maybe it will last longer.

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Find your pattern and then your fabric and the supplies you will need. If you can find a group to quilt with you can get support, inspiration, and often share supplies and hand top-quilting chores. Go online to and see if there is a quilting group in your area, or an interest in having someone start a group.

Answer by countryspice at 5:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Find a pattern you like, find the colors you want, then find fabric in those colors that will look good with that pattern................that is only the beginning

Answer by roundnround at 10:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010