locking him in

my son is 19 months and sleeps in a toddler bed. his room is upstairs, its the only room up there ( a finished attic). his door opens directly to the stairs. right now i shut the door and he has a baby proofed door knob on his side so he cant open the door. he uses the stairs fine, but of course anything can happen. is that bad that i lock him in his room basically?? and when do you think i can stop doing that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our boys are in cribs, and they're 18 months.....I dont' think I'd consider even putting them in a toddler bed yet.....do you think he's ready???? We have a gate at the top of the stairs...it's EXTRA high so they can't climb out.....they aren't even climbing out of their beds yet...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't lock it. I would put a child gate up a few of them for that matter. ! at the top, and 1 on the second one down just in case. If u lock the door and something happens u might not beable to open it fast enough..You know what I mean..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think I would stop with the door knob thing until he figures it out. Then put 2 gates up, one on top of the other. Does he sleep well? It's the safest thing for him. You can get in, that's what's important. Assuming you check on him before bed and have a monitor to listen to him....I wish I had a door on my oldest son's room. There isn't one, so it's just a gate and curtains hanging there so he can't look out at what may or may not be going on LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• op here:
    i can open it fine from the outside, its not actually locked but it is for him with the plastic door knob thing that goes over the actual knob so he cant turn the knob. its only baby proofed from the inside, heck those things are on all of our doors on the inside because he likes to go in rooms and lock us out without knowing it then we find ourselves removing the door knob haha.
    and yes he is completely ready for the toddler bed, he's been in it since he was 14 months old. he sleeps better in the toddler bed than he ever did in the crib.
    and yea we have a monitor to listen to him.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 9:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's fine then. He is safe and that's all that counts. Don't let anyone make you feel questionable of what you do in your own home for your children's safety.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• thats definitely safe. IMO there is no reason a 19month old should be able to easily get out of their bedroom at night especially at the top of the stairs. I think what you are doing is perfect. You have easy access and he is being monitored through the monitor. The only reason we havent put the door knob cover thingy on my daughters door is because the house we live in is 110 years old and her door takes some effort to open so Im not concerned about her getting out, but if we were in a newer house where everything was easy access I would be doing the same thing as you! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I've always wondered about what parents do when their toddler goes to a regular, toddler bed. I'm in a one story home and I wouldn't even want my son to have run of the house while I might still be asleep! It scares the hell out of me! I've thought about this before...and have tried to think of a reason that it could be bad...but I can't. I think it's safer than him maybe getting out and hurting himself some other way. I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you one day. I think you're alright. :)

crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• thats smart of you...just to be safe though i would put a safety gate at the top of the stairs...my son can sometime remove those doorknob things if he pulls too hard with his finger...they just sorta come undone....i was terrified when we put our 13 month old in his toddler bed but he sleeps better that way because he has the freedom if he wants it....i thought it was wrong at first but its definatley right...so dont feel bad....technically its not even locked...and super sasfe since you would have to find a key if there was an emergency.
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• * wouldnt have to find a key
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We do the same thing with my son's door.... he has a child proof knob on his side or he would be all over the house! I think you'll know when he's ready to not need it anymore... I am thinking closer to the age of 3.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010