Is it true a girl has to wait a year before using tampons?

My daughter started her cycles earlier this year. She is now enrolled in swimming classes for next month and is expecting a period sometime towards the middle of the sessions. I heard from a friend that she should not use tampons during the first year of cycles. Is this true or just a myth?

Asked by dlgould4 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I've never heard of that.

I got my period when I was 13 and tried to use a tampon and it wasn't working (it was so uncomfortable). I gave up and just used pads. After I had sex, I tried it again and it was fine.

Just get the ones that have the plastic applicator...and get them small, lol.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My doctor said there was no reason my daughter could not use tampons from the start.

Answer by manna1qd at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was always told that I couldn't use them til after I had sex first...I used them after 5 months of having my period...I couldn't stand pads. As long as its comfortable for her it shouldn't be a problem. Try the junior sized ones...they are made for a smaller area.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I started using OB (non applicator) tampons at my first period.

Answer by maguire708 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I think it all depends on the age. I suggested my daughter start using them at around 16. And make sure they know the proper way.

Answer by strozilove at 9:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I've pretty much only ever used tampons. As long as they are using them properly then I don't see why she should have to wait a year.

Answer by purvislets at 10:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• thats an old "keep your legs closed" kind of wives tale from WAY back. They make lots of tampons in small or lites that are perfect for smaller body types. I would choose plastic applicators for comfort. Proper angle at insertion solves a multitude of discomforts.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• No she should be fine.

• It's a myth. Your daughter will be fine. Go over the instructions with her.

Answer by ToldUNo at 2:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Thank you all for that advice, My 15yo step-daughter will not swim during her time(doesn't even bring a suit for summer vacations) and I now have the ammo to prove her and her mother wrong!!!

Answer by mom2priceboys at 3:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2008