Is it hard to get a doctor to give you permission to get a companion animal?

I live in a no pets apartment but I am bipolar and really feel as if a cat would help me deal with stress and would help me stay "even." I have been seeing the same doctor for 10 years so she knows me really well. The meds I am on actually work pretty well I just get stressed easily and then I start being crabby. I guess I am just asking if anyone else has been in this situation and what the results were.

jamesmommy512

Asked by jamesmommy512 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Depends on the doctor. I asked my ob once and he said and I quote.. "Trust me I'm good at making things up." haha Wow. Thats what he said tho. and the note worked to let mine in.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• From what I understand, having researched this for my own needs, cats are normally considered therapy animals and not service animals. I think that is not exactly true, but anyway ... and that therapy animals are not treated the same by the law as service animals. Talk to your psychiatrist and see if she knows anything about the regulations and see if she will write a letter. I have seen some examples online for service animals.

I have bipolar and quite a few other physical disabilities. My beloved cat that I had for 12-1/2 years died last month. It has been awful and I didn't think I could ever get another one. I realized almost immediately that she hadn't been just a pet, she was also a therapy animal for me. I will pick up a kitten tomorrow and hope she will be a good therapy animal for me.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 10:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• a lot of research has gone on stating that animals have proven to have a calming effect on peole. I don't think youshould have a hard time getting your doc to approve that it is good for you and easy on the systme not ike the drubgs they give4 people who are bi polar.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 10:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010