D'Nealian or Standard block writing?

What do they teach in kindergarten now? The D'Nealian style of writing, or the Stander block? I dont want to teach my son the wrong one, and then have him have to lear it all over again when he gets to school.

calebmama

Asked by calebmama at 10:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pardon my ignorance.....but the what and the what?
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It looks like D'Nealian is a way of writing letters so they look closer to cursive:

http://www.dnealian.com/lessons.html

To answer the question, my guess is that it probably depends on the school.

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son's kindergarten in 2000 used D'Nealian, but, they changed back to standard block a couple years later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It really does depend on the school. Contact your local school and ask them.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My DD learned D'Nealian, but DS learned Block. The odd thing is, his cursive is better than hers!
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Nver heard of D'Nealian, but looked at it. You'd have to check with the schools. Dont know if that would be a school district decision or a teacher one.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It depends on the school district, my son learned Zaner Bloser. My friends stepdaughter learned D'Nelian. You should call the school district and ask, that is the only way to know for certain. Zaner Bloser is also called Traditional.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• dnealian in my sons k class now hes going back to basic in first grade.
    johnny4ever

Answer by johnny4ever at 7:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• at my son's school they are learning block.... you could always ask the school he will be attending
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Each school is different. If you are teaching at home, I would start with block and then work up to DN. This is how I taught my own children and my prekinders in class.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010