How can I get my toddler to sleep in her toddler bed?

Our "just turned" 2 year old kept getting out of her crib about a month ago. We removed the front of the crib and added a rail so she can climb in and out (and we don't have to worry about her getting hurt). Almost every night since then, it takes her 1-2 hours each night to go to bed. We have a 2 month old sleeping in the room next to her so we close our toddlers bedroom door so she cannot get out. The pediatrician recommended tough love and said that we have to let her cry it out. Some nights she goes right to sleep, other nights she will go on and on until we come in which can be 1 1/2 hours later (if we observe on the video monitor that there is nothing else going on). I have also kept the door open and every time she get out of bed, put her back in without saying anything. That did not work either. Friends have recommended the zipper tent to cover the crib, but I think that is delaying the inevitable. Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We struggled a long time, and used all of those methods as well. I think with time and maturity it'll end....sorry I can't give you more than that!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• just keep doing what you're doing momma! she'll get it figured out eventually. It's still new to her.

do you let her have a toy in the bed with her? that always seemed to help mine stay in bed.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It has been almost 4 weeks? How long did it take for your little one to figure it out? During nap time, she will end up sleeping on the floor. But at night time she sits by the door. She likes her bed because during the day she likes to go into her room and "pretend play" in it. We also have a night light in the room so I don't think she is afraid of the dark.

She has 2 loveys, a blanket and a book that we allow her. We removed most other things out of her room because she winds up playing with it all and not going to bed.
    graceh76

Answer by graceh76 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i am going through this right now with my 2 and half year old, we just put her in a toddler bed about a week ago and she is defintly using her new freedom, we didnt put her in a crib until she was 14 months old and our son was in a crib from the get go. i myself do not believe in the cryin it out method, they are children and do need us, my daughter is very independent and does like her sleep and she slept in my bed for 14 months and i rocked her in a rocking chair for almost 2 hours a day for nap time, it is possible for kids to be independent without making them cry it out. I just tell my daughter to grab what she needs and let her exercise her freedom a little bit by going and grab a book or a toy or a glass of water and tuck her back in and five minutes later i will check on her and now she isnt coming out anymore and its been a little over a week and her and her brother share a room, he is 4 and she is 2 and half
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010