How likely is it to become pregnant while breast feeding an 8 month old, without birth control or contraceptives?

My son is 8 months old, and I am breastfeeding with solid foods, and i still have not gotten my periods back. However about 2 weeks ago, I ran out of my birth control and wasn't able to get more till just recently. My husband and I have had sex 3 times since the discontinue of my birth control. A couple of days ago I felt some lower abdominal cramping, similar to ovulation cramps, and since then my husband and I had unprotected sex. I just took the plan b pill (which the pharmacist insured was safe while BFing) but, I am so nervous that I am pregnant again. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Any advice or statistics that will ease my mind?

milkeway84

Asked by milkeway84 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A high chance of becoming pregnant.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It won't ease your mind, but you can still get pregnant while breastfeeding. I did @12 months
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I was BFing full time for 5 months when I got pregnant with number 2...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• well you could of held off on haveing a sex for a few days couldent you?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It happens all the time. I don't have any statistics but if you took the Plan B pill and your body responded as the literature with the pill says, I am sure you are fine. I know it's scary though. I had an IUD put in right away after my first but it is the least effective in its first few months and i just felt pregnant even though I was breastfeeding. If you didn't have the response you should have from the pilll go see your OB and get a blood test. Best of luck!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• my niece has 4 kids one 22 one 20 and one 4 and the baby is 2 she was bfing number 3 and up came number 4 she was not happy about it. but is still mom
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 11:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's a myth that breast feeding = BC.

Ovulation + sex can = pregnancy.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• what i get a neg 2 bc i spoke the turth??/
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• no. i think you got negatives because you were being super rude without any type of advice that could comfort this woman. well DUH she COULD HAVE held off but the point is that she DIDN't so she's HERE for ADVICE.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• well thats her own fault,
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010