What have you cut out to make ends meet or save money?

With the economy, have you cut out something you used to do or spend money on? If so, what did you cut out and how much do you think you have saved?

joysings

Asked by joysings at 11:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am growing a larger vegatable garden.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We haven't really had any issues, but we vowed to stop eating out so much and putting that money into our savings instead.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our main thing that we have cut back on is eating out. Cooking at home is just soo much cheaper, and usually healthier too. At least that's what I tell myself when I "really" would like to go out to eat;)
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We've also cut back our eating out/ordering pizza to once a month, rather than once a week. *sigh* Sometimes I miss having the break from cooking.

We also use the library a lot more, rather than buying books. I try to keep it to 1-2/month and only if I have a coupon.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Using my dryer. I hang everything but towels on hangers and let them dry. It helps save on the power bill. Not going out as much.
    jennyfrances

Answer by jennyfrances at 11:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thankfully my hubby has an awesome job that was only hurt by the economy for about four months last year. He is working 65+ hours a week right now, so his paychecks are pretty nice. However, we have stopped a lot of the "I want that so I'm going to buy it" spending. Lately I've been a little spendy because my middle little princess will be 3 soon, so I've been buying birthday stuff and whatnot. But generally, I've cut back on my scrapbooking, my hubby has cut back on his paintball spending. We're slowly working toward saving extra money to buy a house!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• growing veggies at home, no cell phones, no eating out, buying all generic stuff....just simply not buying nothing extra and even stuff we need at times!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• we have to cut back on eating out, and once that is done we cut back on have nice meals..we keep it simple sometimes and buy a lot of mac and cheese, cheap things like that, which i know are unhealthy, but if it saves us the money, it is what it is
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Mommy2JoshNJake, you might consider the dozens of ways to cook beans and rice, rather than depending on mac and cheese. There are loads of varieties of dried beans that are extremely inexpensive and when cooked with rice, plus a healthy veg side dish, provide a complete, nutritious and filling meal that doesn't have the fat, calories and chemicals of boxed mac and cheese.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Cutting out by eating bad food will only cost more later in money and quality of life. So we really don't do that. I cut by not having cable, eating out much less than I would like to, not buying clothes and if I do its clearance or thrift shopping. Not buying cosmetic things I would love to buy right now like certain contacts, hair and nail products. Basically cut the wants and survive on the necessitites.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2010