4 yrs old and can not entertain herself????

hi there, just recently about 2 weeks ago, my 4 yr old daughter can not do anything by herself??? i mean nothing... she does not want to play in her room, she has to be by our sides the whole time she is awake. i can not even go to the bathroom alone... how do i get her to realize that it is good to use her imagination???? is she bored??? hmm...

cristyn

Asked by cristyn at 12:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take her into her room, shut the door, and you clean or read a book and she can do whatever. Don't suggest anything to her, just like go to her bookcase and look thru the books, and see if one catches her attention and she snatches it, or you can start cleaning out her toybox and she will look over your shoulder and see something neat :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My four year old gets bored a lot so I bought him some paints, he found some rocks in the backyard to paint so we painted rocks together then I let him just paint, his favorite thing is to play with clay he plays for four to five hours at a time, stops to eat and back at molding whatever his imagination thinks up. (clay is 1.00 at walmart)

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it's a stage. Ask her is there's anything she want to do. Get several suggestions. Don't do it right away, get whatever you need ready to do it, and one of those times when you need to have her leave you alone, set it up.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it's a stage, too.  My 4yo has been like that for a couple months and is driving me bonkers.  I know part of it for her is we are in a state of tansition in our family.  We're getting ready for a big move and she's going to be a big sister next week.  Her older siblings have more freedom and take off to play at the park leaving her home with me (of course she's used to them being gone at school).  But she's driving me nuts with the constant demand for attention and not wanting to do anything unless I'm looking at her every 2 seconds.  I can't get anything else done.

I've basically told her to just go in her room and leave me alone because she's driving me nuts.  I don't mind hanging out with her and listening to her stories about her drawings but there is only so much I can take in one day.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010