toy suggestions for an almost 3 year old

My son (almost 3) is absolutly bored with all the toys we have in the house. I have put about half away so they will be "new" again in a few months but even those are below his level now. I am looking for indoor toys/activities that he can play on his own and will not make a mess (we color, fingerpaint, & play play-doh supervised). We don't allow toy guns of any kind or game systems but oyher than that any suggestions would be great. Oh, if possible tell why you like the toy/activity please you know like a mini review. Thanks for all your help

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a big believer in and fan of LeapFrog toys, especially the phonics toys for your son's age. My son learned so much from them! We also really like the V-Smile and Leapster.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son is 3 and loves cars. For his birthday I got him a parking garage for his hot wheels cars. It has 3 levels and ramps going to each one and he loves it. He sits there and plays with it for hours.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/karenbudd/Items%20For%20Sale/IMG_3499.jpg

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My boys love mega blocks one is 20 month and the other is almost five, they are big so LO's can't choke on them, my 20 moth old will sit there and put them together, I think it helps them use there brain and imagination.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions so far and keep them coming

Erin, we have the fridge phonics thing by leapfrog. my son loves to drive me nuts playing the same letter over and over again while I'm cooking but he knows most of his sounds so. . .

Looovemybabies, I have a tub of mega blocks that were taken away a couple months ago so I might bring those out again. He didn't play on his own with them then but it is amazing how much he changes from month to month

Laila, we have a few cars that he plays with sometimes. I'll keep my eyes open for some hot wheel sets while shoping the garage sales this summer, he might enjoy them, especally if they crash. ::: shakes head::: boys
    chrissmom734

Comment by chrissmom734 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My DD got her first floor puzzle at about that age. She has a few more now and is almost 4 1/2. The puzzles she has are 2' x 3' and have 24 or 48 pieces. My 2 1/2 year old son is starting to do the 24 piece puzzles,
    Another thing they both love is a train set we got from Ikea. It fits the Thomas and Brio style trains, but is much less expensive. You can get more basic track and maybe a few special track pieces or cars from those groups. But my kids are more than happy with the basic train cars that come from them. The track pieces can go in a bog or box and carried to other places and are not limited to one set-up. My kids love making new track layout all the time. We have even taken the set to Grammy's, 5+ hours away.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2010