In a perfect world we would accept everyone for who they are.

My question is..... Do you think it would be easier for a mom to accept a gay daughter than a dad to accept a gay son? I would hope I would be accepting of whatever my children's decisions were in life, but feel moms are more accepting than dads.

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 12:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband and I have talked about it MANY times. We have several friends that have had parents that have very strained relationships with their gay children, that stemmed for the kids coming out. We would be happy for our kids, no matter what. Gay or straight, it doesn't matter to us.
    The pain our friends have from their families rejection is horrible and we would never do that to our kids. I can't understand how you love and care for your kids for their entire lives, and then disown them if they are gay. They were gay before they told you and they are the same people after they come out.
    I don't know... It makes me very sad that their families are like that.

I will say that most of my friends have said their mom's were more willing to love their child anyway.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes i do think that mom would take it easier than a man
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes, I do. It wouldn't always be the case, but mothers tend to be more compassionate and understanding by nature.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My ex husband may be a dick, but one thing I will definitely give him props for is not being a closed minded homophobe.

If our son is gay or our daughter is a lesbian, he will love them just the same and treat them no differently than he does now. We are both very accepting of homosexuality and don't see it as something that is a big deal, or something that should require acceptance really.
    Your children are your children. You love them unconditionally.
    There is nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing.
    A person shouldn't be loved any more or any less because of their sexual preference.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• In general I think mom's are probably the first to show acceptance, but there are no rules everyone is different and I sure many dads also accept their gay children without question.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It makes no difference to me who my children fall in love with. I think everyone deserves love and if a woman finds it in another woman, so be it and the same for men. My husband feels the exact same way. He supports the gay community (FYI: I have two mother-in-laws). So it would not bother us either way.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• who knows? my biggest issue with it would be having to give up my whole wedding dream... yes, I have one, and it involves a long white dress, not a tux. Sigh.

I'd move on quick enough, but that's my dream, so I can be sad if I don get it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think you're right- I think most mothers are more understanding. But it's not always that way. when my sister came out I think my dad had known for a long time. It was my mom that was shocked and thinking my sister was just 'in a phase'
    I think she's been in this phase for about 14 years now.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010