Are you spending more this summer vacation than school year?

Around how much is your budget/expenses for the ff: groceries, dining out, clothing, toys/sporting equipment, travel and leisure? Where are you located?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Yes, but the extra is mostly travel, leisure, and extras to keep the kids busy. I don't keep track of our spending, so I don't really know what we're spending on food and clothing. We spent $5500 on karate, but they will be going for the next 3 years. Swim classes are about $330 a month for both kids. Our vacations are cheap because we just drive to California. It's gas, meals out, and about $150 a night for hotels. We have yearly passes to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park and to Knott's Berry Farm. That's about $500 or $600 a year, I think.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• thanks for sharing that! Oh my, $5,500 on karate for 3 years!!! Is that even transferable? What if your kid doesn't want to continue with it after 1 year? My groceries went up to $800-$1000/month since the kids are home. I got sporting equipments/clothing that amounted to $500++. I teach my kids how to swim and do some laps myself and we spend around $50 a month (transportation & pool fees). We go to a Science museum and only spend for the transportation since we have an annual membership there. We go to the playground, parks and go on hikes. I try my best to not dine out so that we can save.
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The $5500 was for both kids, including a set of equipment. Basically since we paid it all at once, we got a family membership instead of an individual for that price. It would have been $4500 more total if we paid monthly. I was surprised at how expensive it is, but so far they're enjoying it, especially my older son. Also since it's a family membership, my husband is considering taking the classes himself. I hope he does because he really needs something fun for him that isn't all about work or kids. I think he'll like it.
    It's generally too hot during the summer to take the kids to playgrounds and hiking. We do that all but about 2 months a year. I'm looking forward to it cooling off to go to the park.
    My kids don't eat much, so I haven't been going to the grocery store more often, but we're horrible about eating out. With the extra time we've had, we've been going out more and I think I've gained about 5 pounds.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• That's a great workout! You should join in, too!
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 2:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I know, I really should. We may end up switching off between my husband and me so somebody is home with the kids. They can't come to the adult classes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2010