Would you allow your child to crossdress?

My son dressed as a girl today for a joke but i really do not feel cofortable with him doing it again because I still think it is inappropriate. I am not saying he shows any signs of this but what if he turns out to be transgender or something, how would you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he is, you can't stop him and that would cause some mental issues I believe, however, letting him explore will not MAKE him transgendered if he is not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Lots of my male friends cross-dress...seriously they do. I am part of the St. Louis Rocky Horror Picture Show shadow cast and I deal with all the costumes and props. My closest friends are or where on the cast. They only did the cross dressing for the show but it is fun and no big deal. Many of them are married, engaged, or have children.

It wouldnt bother me if my child was transgender. As long as they are happy and they be who they are, that is what is important to us.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If it was as a joke, I definitely would not be concerned. I used to dress my little brother up as a girl every once in a while. What can I say? I had always wanted a sister, lol!! He has never chosen to wear female clothes on his own.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Loving, I did the same thing but took it a little farther with hair bows and my mom's makeup! :-)

To answer the original question, the gender lines are so blurred now, most clothes are unisex anyway. I would let my kid wear whatever she wanted so long as it covers the necesary (sp?) body parts. I see no reason to worry about something so harmless.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes. They are who they are... If they are more comfortable in the other sex's clothing why stifle that? If they were doing it as a joke I would want to make sure they weren't doing it to offend anyone else, beyond that I would support just about any style of clothing they wanted...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• 1. If it was a joke. no biggie... its funny and sometimes a kid will do something repeatedly if they know they can get a good laugh out of people. So if it was the joke of the day expect it to come back up, and it would be wrong to down him the next time around... Mixed signals!
    2. If my kid was transgender or anything. Id accept them all the same & love them & hope i could do my best to help them.. Being different isnt the easiest path to take in life! Id rather my child be happy & ok with who they are .... Than go through life unhappy just to fit into societies square box!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Whho cares? if thats the worst he ever does, you're a lucky girl
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• A girl can dress like a boy, but not the other way around,
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Joking about it will not make him a transgender, and if he does turn out to be one, he will still be your son, nothing should ever change that.

Answer by older at 8:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2010