Do you give your baby a pacifier? why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, only because she refused one. I have a happy little thumb sucker!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• YES....if baby is bottle fed. No if BF. They would use me in that case. LOL Because MOST, not all...have a natural non-nutritive sucking need until at least age 2. And that can't very well suck a bottle all the time. Not to mention, a paci is easier to give up when they are ready than a thumb.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes. For one, it soothes him when going to sleep. He only has it at night time. Most importantly, it reduces the risk of SIDS. I took any and all preventions dealing with SIDS that I could!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My baby didn't take it and I rather not give him one!!!
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 1:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• He did until he was 8 months old. We took it away after he got addicted to it on vacation! He literally couldn't be awake without it and I couldn't stand not seeing that pretty little grin of his =p
    Mom2Coop

Answer by Mom2Coop at 1:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes with this baby because from day 1 he wanted to suck constantly, there were no breastfeeding issues and I didn't want to feed him every hour. Plus it's nice to have one in the beginning when they're fussy or tired. Now I just hope I can get him to kick the habit before he's 3 years old. I tried with my other 2, the first took it occasionally for 5 months, then refused it. The second refused it from the beginning.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• one of my daughter's suck an pacifier because she didn't like sucking her fingers or thumb.
    grey4onyx

Answer by grey4onyx at 5:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son gave his up on his own once he discovered how delicious his thumb is. I hope the thumb habit won't be too hard to break, he only sucks on it when he's tired.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• passy lovers, thumb suckers. security blanket... I think all these things are ODDLY genetic! lol.. (i believed ive goggled the thumb sucking at leaste & it seems to be genetic)

My daughter was given a passy but never used it.. when she was teething she would rub her gums on it/bite it, but that is it & it was rare.. she never sucked her thumb either....
    No one in my family that im aware of was passy lovers... and no one sucked their fingers..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Pacifiers were invented as a substitute for the breast (for comfort as well as nutrition). Many breastfed babies have no need for non-nutritive sucking.

My daughter only used one in her snow suit, the first winter, when she couldn't get her hands in her mouth.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2010