Teaching my son to talk and read any suggestions?

Teaching my son to talk and read any suggestions? Like some activities that I can do with him?

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 1:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've noticed reading a LOT and the same books over and over helps. Point out smaller words that come up more often! Sign language is great too. We point out letters in words wherever we are; driving down the road, at home, someone elses house, dr offices are GREAT for that!!! Also using letter magnets or those bath toys and spelling small words out helps. Flash cards, really anytime you can, point it out and they catch on quick! My 2.5 year old quizes me all the time and when I give her the wrong answer she says "no mommy! it's ____" and laughs! No matter what you do it needs to be a game!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• 1. DVD Leap Frog "letter sounds" and then Leap Frog "talking words"
    2. Reading alot. Dr. Seuss is great because its basic rhyming words (cAT in the hAT)
    3. Point out words all the time. Im not a flashcard fan-unless the kid is into it & wants it..
    4. Word Whammer or whatever its called for the fridge is fun for kids.
    5. Teach them how to recognize & spell their name. Kids love this.
    6. Doodle pad: my dd is 3.5 & can write all her abc, 123, and knows how to write alot of words because of the doodle pad.
    7. Look up 1+1+1 tot school blog.. GREAT GREAT blog with so many amazing ideas!
    8. Tag Reader System "Learn to read" book set...
    9. Give the kid the "tools" but let him lead the way! A child who is not ready to learn will not. Or will just not like it, or feel inadequate. Always be fun. Dont push. make it a game as much as possible!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Read to him. Label things in his environment. Don't ask him questions (it puts him on the spot). Talk in short sentences. Teach him sign language, it reinforces words he may not say. When you are playing with him follow his lead, if he's playing with cars make noises like a car, label the colors, etc.
    Catie_W1015

Answer by Catie_W1015 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Read to him, carry on conversations with him, point out and label things to him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Flash cards and constant interaction/ talking and labeling things. Getting excited when he responds and says new words or when he points out something new.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Sight recognition. If a child sees a word more than three times, it's almost like a memory garme. But, of course, you need to create some fun with it to keep the attention of your child. Most children's shows make learning fun. That's why children will watch these shows but we know they are learning too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Read to him, talk to him, and limit tv/screen time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i did alot of the things that the above mommys did. nothing was working so we added shows on pbs. like word world and super why. they help teach spelling and some reading. ds turned 3 in march we started the pbs shows feb and with in that month he talks so much and can see letters and tell u what they are.
    dd is 21 months and she talks alot with him. and no i dont sit them in front of the tv all day.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010