How to teach my toddle manners?

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 1:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm with krystlzd. My twins are 17 now and have always been polite and respectful because I was polite and respectful with them. They copy what you do. Just watch how many parents take something from their kids without saying thankyou. Or bark an order at them instead of asking them to do something by saying "honey, do me a favor and...." Always be calm. Always smile. Never referee thier fights. And, never underestimate what a 5 year old will do for a sticker.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have 2 toddlers. The way I taught them manners, was to always use manners when talking to them. I'd use please when I asked for something, and thank you when they brought it to me. I also have enforced them using manners since they started talking. I'd make them say please before giving them something, and make sure they say thank you after I gave it to them. Now, they almost never need reminding.
    krystlzd3

Answer by krystlzd3 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• toddlers are great copy cats!!! so when they are around it they will imitate it. But you can also do things like teach them to say "please, may I have.... " before giving them what they ask for. Or after they get something to say "thank you" etc. Whatever behavoir you want they to do you have to do it and coach them to do it aliong the way, constantly reminding them... the more they do it the more it will stick :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree with posters above. This is rather extreme and an old movie, but didn't you see the movie "Helen Keller" or "The Miracle Worker?"
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Since your child is still little you need to teach them as the situations arise. For example, if you give them a cookie or treat, you reinforce the term "thank you" for receiving it. Or please mom, may or can I have a cookie? If they hear it said enough it will become part of their vocabulary.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• we started with kenzie early (my computer"s messing up so i cant do commas or punctuation sorry) simply because hubbys side of the family farts at the dinner table (full of boys) and laughs about it>>we started kenzie at about a year old< saying please at the end of a sentece when she wanted something and now when she asks for something she knows to say please>>when she farts or burps she says meme for excuse me>>have them say please and thank you excuse me and so on and they"ll catch on>>good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010