it's so sad

my husband is a paramedic and his station just layed off 8 people so he has been working for 6 days without seeing the kids... I dont know how military wives do it! but my 22 month old girl says " daddy home?" every morning and i have to tell her no...daddys working. any suggestions on how to make this any easier for her?? i was suprised she could even say that so how can i get her to understand why or when he will be back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im not sure but that is so sad. I hope you get some helpful answers ( even though I know this is not one ).. GL to you.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would make her a little book with pictures of daddy. Get it laminated so it will last through toddlerdom. Can daddy call her and talk on the phone? That might help her!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yeah thats a good idea.. i am just so proud that she said that "daddy home?" and was able to ask a whole question like that and i want to reward it by giving her the answer she wants...but i cant :(
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Poor baby! Just make sure to give her extra cuddles. You could also get a "Daddy Bear". Just get a stuffed animal and when she misses daddy she can get a hug from her bear.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Depending on the time of day ...
    Not yet, baby ... Daddy's fluffing the clouds, turning on the stars, polishing the sun ... then let her look to the sky and know that Daddy's doing wonderful things while he's away.
    Tantheria

Answer by Tantheria at 1:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• DH is away a lot with going to school fulltime, and it will get worse this fall when he's in nursing school. I tell my DD that he's away and he'll be home later. Then we do something fun and distract her.....
    I always make sure she gets to wave to him bye, and when I hear him pull in, I always get her excited and we go out to meet him and give him hugs! We talk about our feelings a lot and she's able to express that she misses him and I assure her that he misses her too... xo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If it's a long term issue, you could look into things like daddy dolls (hugahero.com), recordable picture frames, build-a-bears, etc. If he has downtime at work, phone calls help. Otherwise, just have to tell him that daddy is at work but will come home later. Good luck. My daughter has been asking for daddy a lot lately, it's killing me!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We're in the same boat OP... So sad. My DH is in Mgmnt at UPS, 2nd shift. He's gone from 1pm-1am M-F. Its so hard b/c DD is such a daddy's girl. Even when he's home, he's beat-down tired from his long and brutal shifts and grueling schedule. We are lucky that we can see UPS trucks when we are out-and-about so she can shout, "Dada's work truck!" It helps her a little. Otherwise, I have her draw pitures for him, then I snap a pic on my phone and send it to him, we call him on speaker phone before bedtime, and we sometimes watch videos and look at pics of dada on my phone. Something really cool that my mother sent to DD is this book from Hallmark where you can record your voice reading the story! Maybe DH could record his voice in one of those books and it can be her special bedtime book from daddy. I feel your pain OP!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• *** pitures=pictures
    oops! LOL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010