pregnant and depressed

I'm 25 and I 5 months pregnant. I was diagnoised with depression tow years ago. This is my first child. I can't handle the depression and the pregnancy I have alot of sucidial thougths. What makes my depression worse is that I have no support from anyone. My family isn't worth talking too and my bf doesn't know what to do. I see a therapist but that only helps so much. I refuse to take my meds due to the pregnancy. I don't want the baby I want to put her up for adoption but I can't handle that I'm scared I'm going to hurt myself. I'm really trying its just so hard. I have no money and PA is taking so long and I quit my job due to my depression so I have nothing and no one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Please DO NOT put your baby up for adoption. If you feel suicidal now, being a birth mother will put you right over the edge. Why do you refuse to take your meds because of pregnancy? Have you talked to the prescribing doctor about this? If not please do so. There may be other things you can take. It may be worse for your baby if you do not take your meds than if you do.

I'm so sorry your family are unsupportive. You may find support from other sources. Please seek it. Huggs!!

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Can you PM me. Maybe I can hook you up with some sort of support group?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• your doc can prescribe you meds that are safe while pregnant. It will make you feel a lot better. if when you are better you want to give the baby up for adoption, then consider it. Please make sure your doctor knows you're having suicidal thoughts.
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The fact that you've put this out there shows me that despite everything you hold out hope that someone will be there for you. You know what? Your instincts are dead right. We are here, we've been where you are, and we will stand by you giving honest feedback and unconditional friendship that nobody else provided us (because in my case I never asked).

I'm on my iPhone tonight so I can't see if you are conncted to the amazing support that exists here. Fe free to PM me or OTT (one then twins). You are not alone!!!!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Thank you all for your support. I'm going to talk to my dr on tuesday. I don't take meds b/c I'm scared the meds are going to hurt my baby. I don't wanna take that chance. I have talked to my dr about them and he told me they were ok but I'm still scared to take them. I feel better knowing that I'm not completly alone. I'm considering adoption I'm just scsred of these suicidial thoughts :(

Andrea284

Answer by Andrea284 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My heart goes out to you. Please try and talk to your doctor get the help you need before making any decisions. I am sorry your family is not supportive. Keep reaching out and getting all the help you can, that is most important. I am praying gor you, so that things will get better.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You are NOT alone. You have support! (((((hugs))))) You've already had some great ladies reply, but if you need anyone else to talk to, please PM me. You are already doing the right thing by reaching out before hurting yourself.
    mambahowell

Answer by mambahowell at 11:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Dear Anon ... you've found some amazing support here with
    OTT (Onethentwins) and Portlandangels & Mambahowell
    No, you are NOT alone! and so glad you are going to talk to your DR.
    Feel free to PM me too...
    As the others have said you're doing a good thing right now by reaching out

I know you're afraid, but now is not the time to think about the adoption.
    Instead focus right now on taking care of YOU! and focus on the healthy pregnancy. Think about holding your baby after he/she is born. That's ALL the further you need to focus on right now. Don't overwhelm yourself by looking too far ahead. One day at a time!
    sending big gigantic hugs.
    {have been in a similar place}
    JoesGirl

Answer by JoesGirl at 4:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• as a word of caution ... I am kind of glad you posted as anon - because historically here on CafeMom , many expectant moms have been swamped with pm's from potential adopt. parents wanting her baby... and you don't need that!
    JoesGirl

Answer by JoesGirl at 4:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'm SO sorry that you are so overwhelmed right now, with an unexpected pregnancy, the medical fears, and no family support. You have already gotten some great advice, I just want to say again though that you do not have to make a choice for adoption right now. Please do not make the mistake I made while pregnant. I decided right away that adoption would be my only choice. I disassociated from my baby, did not even allow myself to think of him as my child, or me as his mother, as I knew I wouldn't parent him. It now breaks my heart to think of the time that I was his only mother, and I didn't cherish it while I could have.

I'm glad you made an appointment ~ If you still don't feel confident that any meds the Dr might prescribe are completely safe, ask your pharmacist. They are much more knowledgeable than a Dr. about drug interactions.

Good luck, keep coming here for support, to learn about the effects of adoption.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010