attacked

i live in a very small town and things like this never happen and it happened just 2 blocks away from our house. a 5 year old girl was raped and killed. i am out of my mind with fear and saddness. also a second grade teacher at my sons soon to be school was arrested for child porn. our community is dumbstruck. how do we deal with all of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• This isn't something easy to deal with. The only thing I can think of is counseling. I also live in a small town and the *smart* parents don't let their kids out of their sight. They are also not allowed out on the streets without a BUDDY. Everyday reinforce and stress to your kids that they do whatever they need to do to keep safe. Give them a word that only someone that should be talking to them or picking them up from school knows. Ours was Fluffernutter. If someone didn't say that to them then my kids walked away. Some might say that it's living in fear and that may be ... but fear keeps you alive.

My thoughts and prayers are with that family. I can't even come close to imagining and pray to God that I never do.
    Tantheria

Answer by Tantheria at 5:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I am sorry to hear this. It sounds like your crime rate may be going up. :( But that kind of stuff happens every where. No advice here just sympathy good luck
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 5:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Sorry, I don't have any advice. The world is scary and dangerous, and living in suburban and rural areas can't protect you.

A few sessions with a therapist may help you (and your child) process your feelings, and not be overwhelmed.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2010