Charge to fill out Disability paperwork

So I went to my doctors for an appointment while I was there I decided to fill out my disability paperwork since I'm already on bedrest. I also brought in my leave of absense paperwork from work. When I turned in the paperwork they said there was a charge of $10 to have them fill out the doctors portion of the paperwork and a $20 charge for the leave of absense from work. This is my 4th pregnancy and have needed to have the same paperwork filled out with my other pregnancy's and have never been charged. This is a different doctor but I find it ridiculous. Does anyone else's docto's office charge to get this filled out? is this even legal?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 4:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• DH's dr has these fees. It's because they are actually filled out by an outside company instead of the drs office there. We were told it was to detour some of the people that don't really need disablity from attempting to get it
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• when I asked they said it was because it's time away from patients. So they charge. I think it's ridiculous. Isn't the doctors office paying for them to do things like this...I'm suppose to pay them too... So I'm pretty much buying her lunch for the day. I've never heard of this and what if someone can't pay obviously now I'm out of work and having a baby I'm always broke.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 5:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I've heard of charges for forms if you don't have an appointment... I've never heard of it otherwise.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Yes, doctors do charge for filling out forms. BTW, they charge completely unreasonable rates sometimes if in connection with lawsuits, social security etc. Having one testify is beyond unbelievable.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 8:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010